Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What's in your secret garden?

My sister and I were discussing the topic of vegetable patches the other day. Growing your own organics, saving the planet and all that jazz. I posed her the question “do you reckon gardening is becoming more popular with the younger generations today or is it just me?”

She paused then looked at me blankly and replied, “you’re getting old* – gardening is not cool”

I’m yet to be convinced, Ashleigh. There’s something inherently rewarding about growing your own veges. And with the ever increasing trends of going green, I think more young’ns will be reaping what they sow.

My love, who I will refer to now as ‘Owbags’, tells me that it’s all about self sufficiency. He says that it’s rewarding in the way that you don’t have to rely on massive corporations to live. For those of you who know Owbags, you will agree that this is a typical Owbags comment.

One thing that I do love though is the quality. You can’t get much fresher than picking your dinner from the back yard. You also can’t ignore the fact that you know exactly where it came from.

As we creep closer to spring, our little garden is really starting to return the love that we ever so generously bestowed upon it. Please excuse my gloating below.

*For some reason I feel the need to point out here that I am only 26.




No comments:

Post a Comment