Monday, September 6, 2010

We thought we’d share a little bit of inspiration with you to start off the week. A little bit of inspiration never hurt anyone on a Monday.

leafie and lize have been a fan of when-pigs-have-wings or ‘the pig blog’ as we fondly call it, for some time now.

It’s always lovely to browse and on the odd occasion, the little quotes and affirmations can really speak to you. Which is what happened this morning when I came across this one.



“We are so vain that we even care for the opinion of those we don’t care for.” - Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

When I first read it I thought of work (it’s not right to think of work first is it?)

In the last week I have bought to my own attention the amount of time it takes me to compose an email. This email might only be a paragraph long – a simple request or answer to a question. I agonize over word choice and whether or not to use an exclamation mark. I make sure I cover every which way something could be perceived so as not to offend or have someone think ill of me, then I press send. Surely this is not good use of my time, nor is it good for my mental health.

I know that a lot of this comes from my love of words and grammar but if I’m honest, I’d say that a good 30% of my email agony comes from caring for the opinions of those I don’t care for.

I could go on and on about the different things I do to impress people I don’t care about. Apparently I have a different tone of voice for people I don’t know and I often just agree with people’s opinions when I’m really thinking “Is this person for real!? Where’s the nearest exit!?”

I know it all comes down to first impressions and the like but caring too much about the opinions of others can really hold us back in our life.

Don’t even get me started on how long I’ve spent on this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment